Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kampot

After the sights of PP and a broken down bus on the side of the road for about 4hrs, I finally arrived in Kampot. Some people might know it as an important place of black pepper exporting, I know it as a place to do some chilling out on a hammock...AWESOME. I rented a bicycle for the day and did some venturing out to the riverfront and down to some caves and concluded my day watching the beautiful sunset. The English guesthouse owner where I was staying (chef by trade) employs Khmer people so that he may teach them skills that they may use in the future. I think this is wonderful as some of the people of Cambodia have this mentality of who knows if I'll be alive tomorrow or if everything will be taken away from me again. He teaches them to cook both Western and Khmer cooking so that they may work anywhere. Best quote from him after I asked why all the staff are women..."Because if you want a job done efficiently and correctly you hire a woman!" Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment