Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mekong Delta

After spending a short visit in HCMC/Saigon, I went on to visit one of the most fertile and desired pieces of land/water in all of the region. The Mekong delta is the where the mighty Mekong River (which starts up in Tibet) empties into. The start of the trip was the usual take a bus to a boat to another boat to a bus and then wait. I know some of you are thinking, LT isn't very good at waiting, but I'll tell you after spending just over a month in SE Asia I've gotten really good at being patient. I stroll through the coconut, rice, fruit & fish farms. I learned about the annual life of the people who live in this area and their struggles during the rainy season to keep their house intacted while at sea for months at a time. As always, when the boat passes by the children you hear "HELLO" from the distance. They love to say hello and then of course we respond with hello and a wave and then they go off giggling because that's all they can communicate. It's super sweet!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lturnof/SaigonMekongDelta#

2 comments:

  1. If only we could teach the children of NYC to smile, wave and say "hello" as they pass by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://picasaweb.google.com/lturnof/SaigonMekongDelta#5314357366548224210

    $1000 for one -- did you buy me one? I could always use a new one.

    ReplyDelete